* SCROLL DOWN FOR TOUR INFO...
The history of Mount Prospect, began with St John Lutheran Church.
Many of the early settlers who came to live in the area which would one day be Mount Prospect were immigrants from various places within Germany. Among these German immigrants were Lutheran families, who in September of 1848 founded: The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of St John of Elk Grove, Cook County, Illinois.
For many years it was know as St John Lutheran Church, Elk Grove (Township); until the area was annexed into the Village of Mount Prospect in 1970.
Some of these early families of St John are familiar to us today as there are streets and roads named after them: Linneman, Wille, Busse (Edward, William, George, Albert, Louis).
Actually, those who founded St John Lutheran Church were later the founders of Mount Prospect: the Busse, Meyn, Moehling and Wille families. From these families were the first merchants, postmaster, mayors, store owners and major employers; the people responsible for the railroad’s importance to the Village, the organizers of the first school district, the donators of land for and the builders of Central School, and the creator of the first bank.
St John Lutheran Church…
Was founded 12 years before A. Lincoln became
Was the first church and the first school in the area.
It remains the oldest church building in Mt Prospect.
It has the oldest cemetery in Mt Prospect, where many of the first area residents are buried.
With the completion of the third St John church building, the second church was taken down, moved and reassembled about 3 blocks north, to serve as one of the first English speaking public schools in the area.
St John is also the “mother church” to St Paul Lutheran Church and School, which was organized in 1912.
As a “gift” to the village in 1967 when it celebrated its 50th Anniversary, St John granted the Mount Prospect Historical Society use of the original 1901 school building for its first permanent home. The building was honored in 1976; and the Historical Society remained here for over 25 years.
St John Lutheran Church
“HERE from the start"... and before
* A CENTENNIAL TOUR OF WHERE
MOUNT PROSPECT’S HISTORY BEGAN
You are invited to take a tour of the St. John Lutheran Church and cemetery and learn about its important connection to the very beginnings of Mount Prospect.
Pastor Jeff Gavin has for the past five years led student tours for two of Mount Prospect’s schools in conjunction with their history curriculum.
St John Lutheran church was founded in 1848. The church building dates to 1892 and does still contain some original features. The cemetery is the resting place of a number of the earliest settlers, founders of the congregation and people instrumental in the establishment of the Village of Mount Prospect.
The tours will last about an hour, they are free, and each person will receive a color picture and facts brochure as a remembrance of your visit.
The first scheduled tours have been set for:
Saturday June 24, 2017 – 10 am & 1 pm
Monday July 10, 2017 – 1 pm
Other possible tour dates TBA
St John Lutheran Church
1100 Linneman Road
( 3 blks west of Golf & Elmhurst Roads )