History highlights: 1848 - 2017
September 1848: The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of St. John of Elk Grove, Cook County, Illinois is organized.
August 4, 1848: Documents signed bequeathing thirty acres to the church.
December 26, 1848: The congregation’s first chapel is dedicated.
January 1, 1849: The congregation welcomes its first Pastor: Rev. Clements Klein.
1850: Rev. John G. Kuntz becomes our second "Shepherd".
1853: St. John affiliates with The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.
1853: Rev. Karl H. Sallmann becomes pastor and teacher. -
A New, second church is built. - The parsonage and all church records are destroyed by fire. - First teacher called is: Mr. C. Laufer.
1860: Fourth pastor accepts our call: Rev. William Bartling.
1862: The arrival of new teacher: Mr. Samuel Garbisch.
February 22, 1863: Rev. Henry Schmidt takes over as Pastor.
December 20, 1863: The first pipe organ is purchased.
November of 1864: A new school building is erected and dedicated.
1868: Rev. William Dorn assumes his duties as our Pastor.
1873: The first steeple is added to the church built in 1854, and a church bell weighing 1,000 pounds is installed.
August 2, 1876: Rev. Herman Ramelow is installed as Pastor.
July 26, 1891: Rev. J. Henry Haake is installed as Pastor.
September 4, 1892: New Church building dedicated. This church, in its basic form, continues to serve as our present church facility.
1892: Church incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois.
September 4, 1898: St. John celebrates its Golden Jubilee.
1901: A new school is constructed.
1904: A north wing is added to the parsonage.
1905: St. John welcomes Rev. Julius Drexler as Pastor.
March of 1906: New teacher, Mr. Paul Meeske, comes to St. John.
1907: Church walls and ceiling covered with decorated tin-work.
1908: A new Burlington organ is purchased for $1,250.
March 26, 1911: Rev. Louis J.C. Millies installed as Pastor.
March 30, 1913: Rev. Ferdinand Gehrs installed as pastor.
October of 1921: A new, ornate wooden altar and life-size statue of Jesus replaces the original altar and the painting behind it.
September 2, 1923: The 75th Anniversary of St. John is celebrated.
1923: The first worship services are conducted in English.
September 5, 1926: School remodeled, and an addition built containing a second classroom and lavatory, and is dedicated.
August, 1927: Mr. William Heuser is called as a teacher and principal.
September 26, 1948: The congregation joyously celebrates its Centennial.
October 3, 1948: Services held honoring the anniversary of the school. - Teacher Meeske is recognized for 50 years as a teacher.
May of 1951: The “St. John Couples Club” is organized.
February 1, 1955: Pastor Gehrs and his family move into the newly constructed parsonage.
September 16, 1956: Rev. Waldemar B. Streufert is installed.
July 1, 1958: A new Church Constitution is adopted.
April 19, 1959: A spacious new school is built and dedicated.
January of 1960: The last regular worship service conducted in
German. Services from now on would be conducted only in English.
April 30,1961: A new Verlinden pipe organ is installed.
1963: A church addition is built which included washrooms, a cloak room, lounge and a larger narthex. Exterior covered with brick and aluminum facade. Ceiling tiles and wood paneling covers the tin- work of the church interior. New pews added and twelve art-glass windows installed. A large wooden cross now graces the altar.
May 16, 1963: The church is re-dedicated.
April 21, 1970: Mt. Prospect annexes our property.
October 28, 1973: The new school addition is dedicated.
1973: The 125th Anniversary of St. John is celebrated.
May 26, 1974: Rev. Theodore Staudacher is installed as Pastor.
- Also in 1974, St John granted the Mount Prospect Historical Society
usage of the old school building as its first permanent home.
January 19, 1975: Women are granted voting status in the Voter’s Assembly.
February of 1975: The “Rolling Eagles Camping Club” is formed.
July 3, 1976: The “Old Schoolhouse Museum” is dedicated as a Bicentennial project.
1977: St. John’s highest recorded membership with 978 baptized and 818 confirmed members.
1978: St. John celebrates 130th Anniversary. - The lower level of the school is finished and a new kitchen installed.
April 5, 1979: The eighty-seven year old steeple topples over.
November 2, 1980: Rev. Robert E. Kass installed as Pastor.
November 12, 1980: A new church steeple is erected.
1983: Our 135th Anniversary is celebrated. - Major refurbishing of the church is accomplished.
1988: Our 140th Anniversary as a Congregation is celebrated.
November 1, 1992: Rev. Jeff G. Gavin is installed as Pastor of St. John. He begins variety in worship styles and designs a logo and theme for the congregation's identity.
July of 1994: Our first participation in the Mt. Prospect 4th of July Parade.
1997: School enrollment reaches all time high: 166 students. Additional classrooms are built; a hot lunch program started; St. John enters the “Technology Age” with new computers, E-mail, FAX, and an award winning home page on the Internet. - The church starts a video/media library and a video-tape ministry.
November 7, 1997: A successful “Reformation Festival” is held.
1998: St. John celebrates its 150th Anniversary with the theme: REMEMBER, REJOICE, RENEW. Special guest speakers and events
during the year lead to a grand celebration service and banquet on
1999: A total reconstruction of the interior of our school was completed in time for the start of the new school year, with a dedication ceremony
on October 10.
2000: After more than 25 years the Mt. Prospect Historical Society chose to vacate the old school building. - Immanuel Bible Church (Korean) is founded and meets in the old school building.
2001: A Korg synthesizer is purchased to enhance our worship
2001: A new Congregational Constitution is approved.
2002: A remodled enhancement of the church chancel with new lectern/
pulpit, communion rails and kneelers, cross and more was an Easter
Sunday surprise. - Also new glass entrance doors replaced the old wooden doors.
June 2004: The St. John School was closed. Plans to sell eastside property, so to build a new church facility are established. - A local developer's plan to construct townhomes on our 8.3 acre eastside
property was accepted by the Voters in September.
2005: Architectural plans for a new church facility were accepted by the Voters in July. - The approval process for the townhome development ultimately is rejected by the Village. - We continue to seek land sale, development and construction of a new church facility.
October 2006: A recognition dinner was conducted for Music Director, Jim Vyhanek, for 20 years of service to St John.
2007: The dedication of new hymnals: The Lutheran Service Book. -Maranatha Church (Hispanic) begins worshiping in the school building.
- A celebration and banquet for Pastor Jeff Gavin's 25th Anniversary in ministry was held in October.
2008: We celebrate our 160th Anniversary. - The community votes
St. John Church one of the: "7 Wonders Of Mount Prospect".
2011: The Board of Elders institutes a change in our summer worship
to one service at 9:15 am for the months of July and August. - A new
church organ built in the Netherlands was dedicated on September 18.
2012: A special recognition banquet was held in October for Music
Directot Jim Vyhanek's 25 years of service to St John.
2013: St John celebrates its 165th Anniversary on September 22. -
Historical tours of the church and cemetery begin for students from two
Mt. Prospect District 59 schools, which continue to the present.
2016: Interest is renewed for the development of the eastside property.
- The church building and the 1901 school building receive recognition
from the Village as "pre-centennial structures".
2017: St John joins the Centennial celebration of Mt Prospect with
historical tours for the community; as it also celebrates its 169th
Anniversary as a congregation.
Learn more about Our Beliefs: